Thursday, December 24, 2009

Will shampooing car interior ruin wiring?

*Idiocy Waiver: I've worked on cars for 12 years, and have never come across this problem. I know about wiring, but have never trashed a car, hence never dealt with this. Don't roll your eyes and think I'm a blond that doesn't know the difference between a turbo and a hemi.*


That said...my slob co-worker left a chocolate bar and unbelievably greasy burger sitting under the mat on the rear floor of my 99 Volvo wagon. *WTFKFCBBQ?!* I did not notice until the next day, when the chocolate had melted into the carpet and burger had left all of its artery-clogging grease in my floor. I would shampoo it out, or have co-worker suck it all out with his mouth BUT I know that there are about 875694 wires under the carpet, leading to the electric seats, taillights, etc. Will shampooing it ruin them? Will going after my co-working with pliers, duct tape and a cutting torch make me feel better? I really don't want to replace the carpet, let alone have to run and splice wires if I foolishly shampoo them to death.Will shampooing car interior ruin wiring?
Shampooing the carpet will not hurt the wiring. Detail shops shampoo almost every car that goes through the auto auctions, and they are fine.





Be sure that you use a wet / dry vacuum to remove as much liquid as you can after cleaning the carpet.





Choice two (recommend) is to take the car to a detail shop, and have the carpet cleaned with a steam extraction machine. Let slob co-worker pay for the damage.Will shampooing car interior ruin wiring?
shampoo away and dont worry/they expect the area to get wet / melting snow etc
wires are all coated with a plastic like substance. getting them wet doesn't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment